Pain is nature’s way of drawing attention to a troubled body part for rectification. The discomfort should never be ignored as the problem could only worsen with time. Neither should it be suppressed with painkillers as their side effects can be far worse than the ailment itself. The reason for pain must be determined at the first sign and removed as early as possible, as it is always more difficult to cure a chronic ailment.
What is Arthritis (Degenerative Osteoarthritis)?
Inflammation of the joints due to friction of dry bones as the lubricant fluid dries up
- Injury to the joint that has not been rested enough to heal.
- Rich acidic food that irritates the joint tissues.
- Deficiencies of nutrients needed to make healthy joints, especially calcium, and Vitamins C and D.
- A malfunctioning digestive system where nutrients required by the joint tissues are not absorbed and
- Utilized Degeneration of the joints due to aging in an unhealthy body.
- Excessive use of the joints as athletes do.
- Stress as it interferes with the smooth functioning of the body.
Symptoms & conventional treatment
It occurs with pain in the joints—generally the weight-bearing bones such as the knees and hips—during and after use, and during season change. If left untreated, the joints are irreversibly damaged. The most conventional treatments are painkillers and surgery. Painkillers have many unpleasant side effects while surgery can lead to complications like:
- Formation of blood clots that can travel to the heart and lungs causing life-threatening conditions such as heart attack and stroke
- The post-surgery infection which might require weeks of antibiotic treatment
- Contraction of the scar, leading to stiffness of the joint
- The ultimate wear and tear of the implant leading to its loosening and calling for corrective surgery, which is far more complicated
Yogic Cure for Arthritis
The following Yogic treatment can control arthritis in the initial stages. It can also be used as an effective method to counter the ill-effects of surgery.
- To exercise the joints and draw prana to them—pawanmuktasana.
- To increase prana—suryanamaskara. Either the complete exercise or any steps that are possible—and kapalbhati pranayama.
- To lock the increased energy in the body—maha bandha.
- To rectify defects in the energy field—bhujangasana, dhanurasana, paschimottanasana.
- For rest and the best repair of worn-out tissues—yoga Nidra at bedtime.
Homemade Recipes for Arthritis
Medicine in the form of food in the initial stage plays an equally vital role in the treatment of pain and the benefit from the following recipe of vegetable juice can help alleviate the symptoms of pain.
- Mix Veg Juice: Extract the juice of 1 raw potato, 1 small bunch of spinach leaves and 2 carrots. Mix them and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach.
The juice is very useful in the later stage of pain. However before the cartilages are damaged fenugreek tea can help with the symptoms.
- Fenugreek Tea: Boil 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water till the quantity is reduced to half. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
Drink it twice daily- first thing in the morning and at bedtime.
Before one needs to take up relief from a bunch of medicines and surgery, it is always suggested to ease out the symptoms of arthritis by following yogic cure and healthy diet like molasses, wheat germ oil, fish, honey, turmeric, cold liver oil, flaxseed oil, rosehip, alfalfa and cabbage at the early stage. As calcium and phosphorus are bone-forming minerals, food containing them should be necessarily focused on.