Bhadrasana is one of the best meditative poses. Bhadra in Sanskrit means firm, auspicious or gracious. Hence, this pose is also known as the gracious pose. It is one of the best sitting asanas and benefits both the body as well as the mind.
Benefits of Bhadrasana
This posture is beneficial for both the physical and mental health in the below-mentioned ways:-
- Benefits the knees and the hips
- Helps relieve knee pain
- Stimulates the functioning of the abdominal organs
- Works wonders for females during menstruation as this pose helps provide relief from abdominal pain
- Stretches the legs especially the thighs
- Good for the spine
- Improves body posture and increases our concentration levels
- Helps release fatigue and stress
This pose is easy to perform and can be practiced easily by following the steps mentioned below:
- Sit straight with the legs stretched out in front of you.
- Keep the hands at the sides of the hips with the palms touching the floor. (Dandasana).
- Now, slowly bend your feet together and bring them close to your torso in a way that the soles touch each other. Bring the heels and the feet as close to the pelvis as possible.
- Exhale and hold your toes or your ankles with your hands.
- Make sure your knees touch the floor and the thighs rest on the ground. You can even rest your hands on the knees and lightly press them to ensure that the knees remain firm on the ground.
This asana can be done for a few seconds to two minutes. For optimum results, focus your concentration at the tip of your nose and your breath.
Word of caution
- The buttocks should be rested and relaxed on the ground.
- The spine should always be erect.
- The knees should touch the floor. This will ensure that the stretch in the thighs is the maximum. The beginners take the support of a blanket or towel to support the knees.
- People with back issues, joint pain, leg pain, or weakness in the leg should avoid this pose.
- If you experience any discomfort in the pelvis or the legs, then you should immediately discontinue the pose.
The pose will be complete only when you feel a stretch in your thighs and groin. If you feel any tension in the muscles, then immediately resume the starting position. Being regular in yoga will bring maximum benefits. A healthy diet, fixed sleep routine, and stress-free life along with yoga will help you achieve a healthy mind and body.
Do you want to share your ‘Yoga’ story? Then, please comment below and let the world know!