For a yoga practitioner who is obsessed with following the right posture for yoga asanas, maintaining a healthy diet is also crucial. Yogic philosophy emphasizes that proper adjustment in the consumption of food can prevent and even cure diseases, make you more mindful, and emotionally stable. Other than that, doing so can also change a person’s perspective towards life and character too. Intake of the right food in the right portion will not only enhance your yoga practice but also give it more meaning.
Believe in the Sattvic Diet :
Diet is of three kinds: Sattvic, Rajasic and Tamasic. The sattvic diet makes the mind pure and calm. Rajasic diet excites passion, while Tamasic diet fills the mind with anger, darkness and inertia. It is believed that Sattvic food is suitable for those who follow a yoga regime. It helps in nourishing the body and maintains a peaceful state. You stay calm and your body gets purified.
Here are a few Sattvic foods :
- Milk-based food (viz., cow’s milk, cheese, butter, curd, ghee)
- Fruits (viz., Mango, Apple, Banana, Papaya, Orange, Guava)
- Vegetables and greens (viz., potato, spinach, cabbage, brinjal )
- Nuts and seeds (viz., almonds, hemp seeds, coconut, pine nuts, walnuts, sesame seeds)
- Sweeteners (viz., raw honey, jaggery)
- Herbs and Spices (viz., basil, coriander, ashwagandha, saffron)
Eating two hours before asanas and sleeping:
The body has cycles and functions best when these cycles are regular and steady. The same goes for our mealtimes. Avoiding food two hours before exercise or sleep helps the body function at its best capacity. Energy for digestion should not be taken away for the purpose of the exercise. Ensuring proper time for digestion before sleep also helps clear the mind. Thus, the hormones produced during sleep can be utilized efficiently to repair tissue damage and fight infection, which is ideal, instead of digestion.
Benefits of the yogic diet :
Since the sattvic diet is pure it gives the body unnumbered benefits. Here are some benefits of the sattvic diet:
- A good and healthy yoga diet plan promotes digestion and cures practitioners of stomach problems like constipation, gas.
- It helps in keeping your colon clean.
- It helps in detoxifying your circulatory and digestive system, cleanses skin, and reduces breakouts and acne.
- Undoubtedly, eating sattvic foods can help you lose weight and get a healthier body.
- Tamasic and rajasic food cause blockage in the body and it also results in joint pain. Sattvic foods combined with yoga helps to open these blockages and relieve you of these issues.
There is a misconception that a person must give up on all types of foods to achieve good health. But that is not true. It’s all about understanding your body’s needs. You need to understand whether the hunger you are feeling is really a need for food or your body asking for water. Your body can only digest as much as its capacity and overburdening it can cause an emotional breakdown. Give your food thought and lead a healthy life.
Also read articles on diet, click here