Skin reflects your allure & charm. Skin, being the largest sense organ in the human body serves a multitude of functions. The health of the skin is integral for the preservation of health. Skin is the first point of contact with any external agents. Hence skin should be protected with great care. It is necessary to understand the normal nature of your skin before categorizing it’s as dry or oily.
Skin covers not only the face but the entire body. Hence it is imperative to protect the health of the skin by internal remedies along with some external therapies.
Identify your skin type
If you have dry skin, after taking a shower, skin tends to be dry or tight. If the skin exfoliates or cracks, it indicates the excessive dryness in the skin. Sometimes itchiness is associated with dryness. Dry skin may occur due to some underlying illnesses also. For example in some skin ailments like dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. dryness is the peculiar feature.
Healthy practices to reduce dryness
- Hydrate & moisturize your body
- Avoid hot water showers
- Protect & cover your skin during travel
- Minimize the use of heavy cosmetics that contain harmful chemicals that reduce the moisture
- Avoid thick fabrics for clothing
- Use gentle soaps or cleansing agents
Let’s discuss some simple foods to include in your daily menu
- Dry nuts like Chinese chestnuts, almonds, cashews play a major role in preventing premature wrinkling & aging
- Coconut- Oil, as well as coconut milk, is very nourishing
- Tomato- this red vegetable is rich in lycopene, this contains a wide amount of antioxidants & prevents age-related wrinkles.
- Broccoli- This green vegetable contains Vitamin B, Vitamin C, and Beta carotene to maintain a healthy skin & to prevent dryness.
- Grapefruit- Rich in vitamin C, Eat this red fruit, once in a while to have a smooth skin tone
- Watery fruits like melon, papaya, etc. add to the glow of your skin
- Cucumber is another best-recommended vegetable for dryness of skin
- Mixed berries- Berries contain a lot of fiber & antioxidants. It is necessary for a healthy skin
- Milk is vital if you have dry skin. Internally drinking 1glass full-fat milk is highly recommended.
- Avocado, the buttery fruit is rich in Vitamin E, which maintains the normal healthy skin
Now we have discussed the food supplements to combat dryness. The above-mentioned fruits & vegetables can be added to your menu according to your preference.
Homemade Remedies for Dry Skin
- If you have extremely dry skin, apply fresh coconut milk daily early morning. This will nourish your skin with vitamin C as well as copper. This increases the elasticity & prevents sagging of skin. It heals the skin cracks & scars. Apply for 15 minutes. Wipe with cotton soaked in lukewarm water to remove the extra oil.
- Coconut oil/olive oil can be applied similarly
- Rice –milk pack- Have you ever tried this amazing remedy. This is a proven solution that is available in the ancient medical literature. The lactic acid in milk effectively rejuvenates the skin. Rice is boiled with full-fat milk into a paste. Then after cooling, this paste is applied to the skin followed by a light massage. This can be kept for almost 30 minutes to dry. After removing the pack, the skin should not be directly exposed to sunlight or dust for the remaining hours.
- Oat flour powder with coconut milk- milk is cooked with oat flour & applied as a paste to the skin. It can be removed after drying.
- Yogurt can be mixed with fresh tomato juice & can be applied to the skin twice weekly. This hydrates the skin & enhance the glow
- Avocado & berries can be crushed with a fork to make a paste. This mixture can be used as a snack time food to combat dryness.
- Chicken/lamb meat soup can be made by boiling the meat pieces with broccoli florets & bell pepper. Salt & pepper can be added to taste. This is very rich & nourishing.
- Salads can be prepared with honeydew/cantaloupe melon & strawberries. Intake of such fruits hydrates the skin.
- Ghee taken in small amounts twice-weekly moisturizes the skin & prevents aging.
- Buttermilk added with mint/lemon leaves & salt can be taken like a refreshing drink to rejuvenate the skin. This drink is a rich source of vitamins & minerals.
- Coconut milk can be mixed with powdered cashew, almond & walnuts. This can be heated in low fire. Honey or sugar can be added for sweetness. This can be taken as a desert to combat dryness. This is very effective for repairing damage caused due to dry skin.