Headache is a common disease confronted by the majority of people in their lifetimes. It manifests as a pain in the forehead or back region of your head, or even around the eyes. Primary causes can be high blood pressure, sinusitis, indigestion, fever, etc. Headaches also manifest as a result of other underlying illnesses. That’s very important to consider nowadays. Ayurveda, the ancient medical knowledge also emphasizes the practice of improper diet & routine as the cause of headaches
When talking about diet practices, how diet & regimens contribute to your headache?
- Skipping breakfast is very common in youngsters & teenagers. This hampers the brain functions & results in headaches.
- Eating spicy & salty foods
- Reading in a moving vehicle, dim light, watching television &laptop for a long time
- Playing mobile games for a long time
- Reduced/disturbed sleep due to stress
Ayurveda for Headache
In Ayurveda, treatment is done according to the dosha predominance. If vata dosha is predominant, symptoms will be a throbbing sensation, feels like something tied around the head, constipation/hardened poop. Stress, anger, etc. aggravates the condition. If it is pitta predominant, it would probably result from improper digestion or diet patterns. The pain is peculiar with a burning sensation & resembles the migraine. If Kapha dosha is the culprit, then you might experience heaviness of head with running nose & resembles sinus headaches.
Treatment should aim at identifying the cause & doshas involved.
Ayurveda insists on treatment on a dosha basis. For vata predominance, Triphala powder in lukewarm water is found very effective in relieving constipation & related symptoms. Nasya therapy by instilling sesame oil in the nostrils are good in alleviating the pain. Then head massage is highly recommended to improve the circulation & enhance oxygenation in the cells.
In pitta type, cooling therapies are recommended. Triphala powder or Shatavari/Asparagus root powder in milk is very effective. Nasya therapy with ghee is found very effective. Water containing fruits & vegetables like watermelon, cucumber, etc. are advised.
In Kapha type, Nasya with anutaila is recommended to relieve nasal congestion & clear the sinus. Drinks with dry ginger powder & pepper also expel accumulated mucous from the cavities. Fomentation is best recommended.
There are also kashaya like vidaryadi Kashaya, dasamoolakauthrayam Kashaya, etc. which are very effective. Sometimes your headache cannot be relieved by taking a nap or by some usual painkillers.
Why not try some safe remedies?
Herbs for headache
- Garlic– it has a penetrating effect by clearing the deep channels of the body
- Ginger– It can be used as a drink or the juice can be applied externally in the region of pain
- Sandalwood oil or paste– It can be applied to the forehead. It has a cooling effect on the blood vessels & thereby controls the pain.
Say No to
- Excessive tea/coffee as well as carbonated soft drinks
- Skipping breakfast & untimely diet habits
- Excessive exposure to sun, cold & bright lights
- Overuse of body sprays as well as cosmetic hair treatments
- Use of alcoholic beverages & tobacco smoking
- Sleep in even surface & sit comfortably while reading
- Drink enough fluids to hydrate yourselves
- Sound sleep
- Regular intake of balanced & nutritious diet
Daily physical activity or mild exercise enhances the cell oxygenation
Yoga & meditation
The practice of yoga & meditation can relieve headaches that originate due to stress or anxiety. Also, it balances the body & mind in a relaxing manner. Pranayama & breathing exercises can be of great relief in sinus headaches. It eliminates the block or accumulated waste from the minute channels of the upper part of the body.
Foods for headaches.
- Avocado, a rich source of healthy fat is very useful in relieving headaches. It can be eaten as a salad with other greens of your choice.
- Watermelon is another highly recommended option. It maintains the fluid balance of the body. If you are tired of drinking water, try this amazing fruit to stay hydrated
- Dark chocolate, if you are a chocolate lover, you could try using dark chocolate. It contains caffeine that can arrest your headache in no time
- Spinach is found effective in headaches. You can make green salads or try some leaves in your sandwich or burger. It is a bundle of vitamins & minerals like potassium.
- Yogurt is rich in calcium as well as minerals. It cools the body. You can also make sweetened yogurt by adding caramelized berries of your choice.
- Foods like tuna, turkey & chicken are a rich source of vitamin B6. It enhances the production of serotonin, which in turn aids in pain relief.
It is always best to consult your doctor & take the treatment accordingly. Headaches are of different types ranging from mild to complex. It is mandatory to rule out the exact cause & adopt subsequent treatments for the best results.